Etre [eh-truh] : French verb meaning "to be". This is the most simple and truthful thing any of us is capable of.
With Etre, my goal is to capture your cherished and important moments in an honest and truthful way through my lens. In short I strive to capture you...simply being you.

8.11.11

content to be.

So I had an epiphany. The epiphany led to a new goal.




The goal is... to jump into bed (yes jump. I hate the dark) at the end of the day, and snuggle up next to Mr. Smith as I hear my life's narrator say "...and she was content to be."

Isn't it a most marvelous goal?!

I'm going to have to agree with myself here and say yes.

To be content isn't the same as being complacent or passive. It's being at peace with who you are, the decisions you're making, and the direction you're headed at every given moment. Contentment doesn't come from forgoing opportunities or crapping out at the end because it was "just too hard." I know that it never comes to those who don't reach for the ginormous potential that is in them, or to those who never learn to love themselves; mistakes and all.

We're all living in the same world. Waking up to the same sunshine, with the same amount of time each day to get things done.
Life is happening to every one of us, and that obviously won't change, but we can use our agency to choose how we live it.

I think that children are content more often than anyone else in the whole world.






This little dude is perfectly happy with who he is and what he's doing. I captured him scraping the bottom of his ice-cream cup at a wedding a few months back. He hasn't done anything extraordinary, but he's happy. And that counts for a lot!
It would be the greatest thing ever to be a worry-less kid again, but since life keeps happening, all I can do is aim for contentment and enjoy the simple successes of daily life.


I beat Mr. Smith at ping pong tonight. I'm totally content with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment